AKC: Handler Discrimination CourseRegular price $230.00
In AKC Scent Work, competitors also have the opportunity to enter the handler discrimination class, where the dog will locate an article with their scent in the Novice levels, or a scented q-tip or cotton ball in the upper levels of competition.
We will cover how you can introduce this concept to your dog and ensure their success!
With handler discrimination, we are moving away from a novel odor to a familiar one. Dogs must be able to locate their handler's scent as opposed to the scent of another person. In this course, we will go step-by-step how to introduce this concept to your dog and ensure they are correct every time. Fun will be had!
Should I Take This Course?
Are you planning on competing in AKC Scent Work? Get the training you will need to succeed in the Handler Discrimination class!
Are you looking for something fun to do with your dog? Even if competition is not on your agenda, training your dog to hunt for scented articles can be a fun thing to and beneficial in other dog sports as well!
What You Will Need for This Course
- your dog
- flat or martingale collar
- back-clip harness (optional)
- 6'-8' leash
- 10'-15' long line
- LOTS of high-value and smelly treats
- crate or area you can stage your dog in while setting up your searches
- minimum of 10 boxes of various sizes (good excuse to shop at Amazon!)
- earthquake putty or GlueDots
- minimum of 10 cotton gloves
- cotton balls
- minimum of 6 tins with holes
- Introducing Handler Discrimination
- Find My Scent!
- Avoid Distractions and Ensure Success
- Container Searches
- Exterior Searches
- Putting It All Together