Introducing Anise CourseRegular price $230.00
With your dog doing well in finding Birch in all the elements (Interior, Exterior, Vehicle and Container), you are ready to introduce them to a new novel odor: Anise. In this 6-week online course, we will show your dog that Anise is just as valuable as Birch and will have them searching for it in all the elements. You will be amazed by how quickly they pick this up!
With your dog understanding the concept of searching for a novel odor, such as Birch, in a variety of search areas, it is fairly simple to add in a new novel odor into the equation. We will be doing just that in this course.
However, we want to ensure the dog finds Anise to be equally fabulous as they find Birch to be. In that vein, we will be using pairing for the Anise hides and will begin to fade some of the pairing on the Birch hides.
Utilizing the K9 Nose Work® training methodology will ensure the dog is not only ready to compete at a NACSW™ trial, but with other Scent Work competition organizations as well.
Additionally, we will be discussing issues all handlers should be aware of such a converging odor, lingering odor and how to set up a search area so that it is challenging, yet fair, for the dog.
Should I Take This Course?
Have you taken the Exteriors and Vehicles with Birch course? Now that your dog is familiar hunting for Birch in all four search elements it is a prime time to introduce a new target odor into their repertoire.
Are you interested in competing in Scent Work? Anise is another common novel target odor offered by the various competition organizations. Thus, your dog will greatly benefit from knowing Anise is valuable and fun to hunt for as well!
What You Will Need for This Course
- your dog
- flat or martingale collar
- back-clip harness (optional)
- 6'-8' leash
- 10'-15' long line
- LOTS of high-value and smelly treats
- crate or area you can stage your dog in while setting up your searches
- minimum of 10 boxes of various sizes (good excuse to shop at Amazon!)
- minimum of 5 novel containers (e.g. Tupperware container, purse, bag, etc.)
- 1-2 vehicles (e.g. car, SUV, truck, tractor, riding lawn mower, etc.)
- earthquake putty or GlueDots
- minimum of 5 tins with holes
- Birch ("Sweet Birch" aka Betula Lenta)
- Anise ("Aniseed" aka Pimpinella Anisum)
The Introducing Anise course is designed to provide the same exact learning experience we provided to our in-person group dog training classes in a virtual format. Same great quality with more flexibility and convenience!
Here is a quick breakdown of the types of topics that will be covered each week:
Adding Anise to Your Search
- Container Searches with Anise
- Interior Searches with Anise
- Exterior Searches with Anise
- Vehicle Searches with Anise
- Endurance Searches with Anise