The NW1 Trial Prep class will mentally and physically prepare teams for NACSW™ NW1 trials. Some of the topics covered include preparing for trial, threshold training, reading your dog, searching on grass, proofing, training with distractions, pooling odor, conquering your trial nerves and more!
Congratulations! You’ve passed your ORTs trial and now you’re ready to enter your first trial. In this class we will cover how to best prepare yourself for an NW1 trial. Not only will we cover what to expect at a trial, but also how to train for it. Let’s get started!
Should I Take This Course?
Are you planning to enter a NW1 trial? Ensure you and your dog are ready for the challenge with the training and handling tips provided in this course.
Team should have passed their ORTs for birch, anise and clove.
What You Will Need for This Course
- your dog
- flat or martingale collar
- back-clip harness (optional)
- 6'-8' leash
- 10-15' long line
- LOTS of small, non-crumbly treats that YOUR dog finds rewarding
- 20-25 containers (cardboard, plastic or metals - at least the size of a shoe box)
- Odor kit that includes: Birch and Anise, several hide vessels (tins, tubes, straws) and way to secure your hides (Museum Putty, Glue Dots, etc.)
- Staging Areas, Start Lines and Thresholds...Oh My!
- Reading Your Dog/Building Duration at Source
- Searching on Grass
- Body Language and Leash Handling
- Pattern Searching Through Hide Placement
- Distractions, Pooling/Trapping Odor and Conquering Trial Nerves
WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYING
Probably sound like a broken record, but its easy to follow, makes me (and therefore my dog) enthusiastic, go at my own pace.Introducing Birch Course
What did you enjoy about this course? Took me out of my comfort zone. Making me keep training logs. Teaching me to break down behaviors. That is huge because all I ever see is what I need to work on.Now What Do I Do?! Course
I liked the pace of the course, how the material was presented and most importantly all of the wonderful feedback. I think the at-home learning experience was far better, due to the enormous amount of feedback (and encouragement!) that we would not get as much of in a live class.Introduction to Scent Work Course
The explanation followed by the videos to show the skill or skills. That was helpful. The feedback on my videos was also helpful. The practices each week- gold!NW3 Trial Prep Course
This was the most amazing and insightful seminar I have ever attended on Odor movement and hide placement. WOW! Thank you so very muchHide Placement and Odor Movement Seminar
Get started today to achieve your dog training goals!